taking something old... making something new.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

sewing party

I had a blast tonight having a little invitation sewing party with Tess and Micah. We ordered a gluten-free pizza, assembled and sewed 200 invitations, and talked about babies (both Tess and Micah are pregnant). It was a great way to spend a snowy evening. I'm super excited about these invitations. I found the idea online and it was the perfect invite for me. I used a combination of fabrics that I had already and purchased fabrics from the store. Each invitation is hand-sewn with a square of fabric on the back and an appliqued flower on the front.
Apologies for the grainy photos. I forgot my camera so I had to use the iphone. I considered a reenactment for the sake of good (or just better) photos but alas, I couldn't really capture the moment, as it was spent among friends and I loved Tess's vintage suitcases in the background.
By the end of the evening, we accumulated quite the stack of invitations. I still have to finish cutting out about 100 flowers and attaching them to the front of the invite, but that is something that is easily done while watching a good movie.

Tess and Micah. A great team. Micah assembled the mayhem while Tess and I sewed. Micah got a little distracted when she started talking about cooking and ended up gluing a few invitations so they had the invite on both sides instead of fabric on one side :) I'll let it slide as she is experiencing pregnancy horomones right now !
I took a picture of all the invitations after they were packed away in the box. I thought it made a pretty cool picture. In fact, I think I'm going to have this picture made into fabric. My friend Natalie told me about this cool website spoonflower where you can design your own fabric. I have it posted here if you want to check it out.

4 comments:

  1. I agree: a night well spent!
    I love how they turned out and the way they look as a collection together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH. These are AMAZING. I seriously love them. So so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Hannah, Cyd! These are AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got my invitation in the mail. AMAZING. You just can't top this. I'm really glad I'm already married do I don't have to try!

    ReplyDelete