taking something old... making something new.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Diane

I've decided that I will start naming my dresses as I make them. For starters, it will make it easier to identify them later on, and I think it gives them a bit more personality. I am naming my first dress after my mother, Diane. She is such a classically elegant woman whom I look up to so much. She is a true pioneer woman who taught me to sew and taught me to be industrious. While my dad worked his way through medical school, my mom raised six children. She spent her days baking bread, gardening, cleaning, and sewing clothing for us. Some of my favorite memories are during the summers when my mom and sisters and I would pile in the car early in the morning on Wednesdays to be the first to hit the garage sales in Mission Hills--an expensive older neighborhood filled with treasure. I feel that it is only fitting to name my first dress after the woman patiently helped me cultivate a talent that has become a passion.

I am finished with my first dress and am really pleased with how it turned out. It looks very classy and elegant on and fits like a glove. I've learned a lot from this first project and look forward to not making the same mistakes on my next project! Overall, it took me just under 20 hours to complete. Here is the final product...
I've decided that I won't post any pictures wearing it until I do my photo shoot at the end. When I'm finished making all the dresses I decide to do, I'm going to have a bridal photo session with a great photographer. Not only can I have great pictures of all the dresses to keep for myself, it will help me start my portfolio. Thanks for sharing this experience with me! I'm looking forward to my next project!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! It's beautiful. I like your idea of naming each dress :)

    ReplyDelete